March 12, 2020
News about the Coronavirus had been around for a few months now… I have been living my life pretty much as I did before, except for paying more attention to hygiene, avoid crowded places, and praying for the situation. But today, when the announcement was made for schools to be closed 2 weeks after March Break, I realize things are moving to the next stage rapidly…
How are you feeling about the situation? How are you preparing yourself & your family for this challenge?
Three weeks ago, I visited 2 classrooms on a Sunday, and collected a total of 33 prayer requests from the children… 15 of these requests were about the Coronavirus! The children were concerned about this virus before it was even called a pandemic. What are we doing to support them, help them, and comfort them?
Here are a few ideas to help families face this challenge together:
- Pray together – During this time of trouble, it is important for children to express their feelings, and to lift up their worries to God. Assure them that God always listen, and will answer our prayers.
- Worship from home – To prevent the virus from spreading, there is a possibility for worship and cell groups to be conducted online in case of an outbreak. In response, I encourage you to lead family worship… and keep it simple! Ask older children to search up a few worship songs; let younger children contribute by picking a Bible Story they like or to say prayers; adults can prepare some Scripture reading and sharing for the family. There are also extra resources at Orangekidmin.com. Enjoy!
- Sunday School from home – Families that really care about the spiritual growth of their children might worry about their kids missing Sunday School lessons when they are home-bound. We are glad that there’s an easy solution for this: The Orange, the curriculum we are using at Grace, has an App called Parent Cue, which provides Sunday school materials every week. Parents can use this App to watch Bible lesson video with their children, learn the theme verse together, and follow discussion topics as provided. In case you haven’t done so, simply follow these steps to get the app:
1. search up “Parent Cue App”
2. download the App onto your smart phone
3. enter “Grace Chinese Gospel Church” when prompted
4. provide you child’s age for age-appropriate lessons and materials
5. repeat steps 4 if you have more than one child
- Screen Time… Scream Time – Many parents are struggling with how much time their young ones spend in front of the screen, sometimes making them want to scream! If you want to be prepared for an outbreak, other then making sure you got enough toilet paper at home, consider stocking up on plenty of reading materials or craft materials for your children, or maybe some board games that would be fun for both adults and kids! This way, the children don’t have to rely on a screen to have fun. Also, if your family is home-bound, a cleaning or home-improvement project can be a great activity to bring the family together! Hint: discuss your plans with the children, encouraging them to share their ideas of what works for them… this way, they will likely be happy to participate!
I hope these ideas would help! Feel free to contact me via email for further discussion or sharing. May the Lord lead you and your family through all the daily challenges, and grant you His love and peace in you heart despite the difficulties this pandemic brings!
Blessings, Pastor Eva
Info Contact Children’s Ministry Pastor